My book "Be Your Own Goals Coach" is a fabulous and complete goal setting template. It's a great investment in your coaching - not only to help your clients set and achieve their goals but to teach them vital life skills. And it comes with a bonus chapter I wrote especially to help you, the coach get the best from it.
You will see from the 11 tips below that Be Your Own Goals Coach will help you become aware of some of the less obvious challenges and obstacles that crop up on the road to goal achievement. Read the tips and the reviews and then...
1. Zap those old failed goals. This is such an important first step in the goal setting process. Old failed goals that you still feel bad about can drain your energy and make you cynical about setting new goals. And goals that you did achieve but never acknowledged need revisiting and celebrating.
I cover this little known secret to success and how to do it extensively in Be Your Own Goals Coach.
2. Set SMART GOALS: That is goals that are strong, specific and exciting goals with a time frame for achievement. Check out your goals against the S.M.A.R.T Goal Model in BYOGC and you'll appreciate how this goal setting tip can make such a difference to your success. And try to keep your goal simple - something you can easily remember and say.
3. Have a support team: Don't try and do it all yourself. Create a support team to help you achieve your goal. Make a list of
all the resources you need and tick off what you can do or have time to
do yourself and what is not your forte.
Then research and decide who can provide the help you need or be a mentor to you with encouragement and support.
4. Write goals down: It has been proven that the act
of writing a goal down actually brings it out of 'thought space' and
into existence as a real possibility with a much better chance of success.
Use the present tense using "I am" or "I have" rather than "I will" and, once written down, keep your goals where you can see and say them often.
5. Own your goals: Make sure they are YOUR goals. It’s really easy to get caught up in some one else’s goals or aspirations for you. So ask yourself: "Is the goal I am setting is something I can really own want and find exciting for myself."
6. Get rid of distractions: What are those things that take your time and energy and get in the way of your focus towards achieving your Life Coaching goal?
Things like a poor work space, clutter, or out of date equipment. Learning how to say NO to requests for your time is a real goal setting secret for success?
7. Have a success policy: Think about the person you have to BE and how you will have to operate to DO what you need to do to HAVE that goal. What behaviours may you have to change or adopt? You'll learn some valuable information on this Be, DO HAVE model in the book.
8. Action please: Setting and planning is one thing. Action is what you need even if you sometimes don't feel like it. BYOG show you how to prioritise and keep going towards the goal with actions, however small.
9. Stay on track: When the going gets tough and you feel like throwing it all away, realise this is part of the process. In Be Your Own Goals Coach there are lots of examples of how you might get off track and what to do about it to power forward again.
10. Are your goals compatible? Check they do not conflict with each other or your values. Conflicting goals can be one of the main reasons for failure.
11. Celebrate, Celebrate, Celebrate: Acknowledge yourself for all the steps you achieve along the path to your goal. The learning experiences as well as the wins! I explain why this is so important and is a goal setting secret that is often overlooked.
Especially when the going gets tough, look back and acknowledge how far you have come and what you have already achieved.
So there you have it, just a few of the goal achieving and life skills tip in Be Your Own Goals Coach with a lot more on each than I have room for here, plus that bonus chapter to help you use the tips with your clients.
Here's to your goal achieving success.